Friday, January 30, 2009

Cuisinart Families


I have decided that my family is being placed into a cosmic Cuisinart. I'm getting excited.


When my sister gets married in June, we'll have Catholics (devout and cafeteria-style), Anglicans, born-again Christians, Jews, atheists, agnostics, gays, lesbians, lawyers, bankers, teachers, professors, truckers, mechanics, musicians, nurses, doctors, waitresses, salespeople, computer programmers, wine merchants (thank goodness) and about 10 other occupations I don't even know about yet. Education levels will be all over the map whether you ended up rich or poor or somewhere in between.


Some will be rich by most standards; most will be middle class wherever they live; some will be poor. I suspect that only a minority will have decent health care.


Their ancestry will be Italian, German, English, Scottish, Irish, Indian (most by country of origin but some of Native American heritage), Polish, French and I suspsect a fair amount of African-American origin. We'll be overweight and underweight, tall and short, light and dark.


Our fears will be different. Our hopes will be different. Our ambitions will be different.


What will bind us together? I'm convinced that it will be a common love of two people who have decided, after 10 years together, to make a life. I've decided that you don't need much more than that.


No comments: